Eric Lane is the Director of CLP's Intellectual Property Practice Group. Eric has a broad-based expertise and experience in both international general practice law firms and intellectual property boutique firms. He drafts and prosecutes patent applications in complex technologies such as renewable energy, and clean technology and energy efficiency systems. With a background in the life sciences, Mr. Lane has provided freedom to operate and due diligence opinions in various technologies. Mr. Lane also is experienced in trademark prosecution and provides strategic trademark advice, including litigating trademark matters before the USPTO Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Mr. Lane counsels companies and entrepreneurs in patent, trademark and copyright matters, assisting them in protecting the intellectual property assets critical to their livelihoods.
Mr. Lane also handles patent and trademark litigation in federal courts and U.S. Patent & Trademark Office proceedings and has experience in antitrust issues arising in intellectual property litigation. While defending an international pharmacy against patent infringement claims, Mr. Lane briefed novel issues relating to the patent marking requirement, and this successful summary judgment motion limited potential damages and led to a favorable settlement for the client.
Mr. Lane is the founder and author of Green Patent Blog - a web site dedicated to discussion and analysis of intellectual property issues in clean technology and renewable energy and the author of Clean Tech Intellectual Property: Eco-marks, Green Patents, and Green Innovation (2011 Oxford University Press), the first comprehensive monograph on the clean tech IP. He has published articles on a wide range of legal subjects in such publications as the Columbia Journal of Environmental Law, the Berkeley Technology Law Journal, the Santa Clara Computer & High Technology Law Journal, the Duke Law & Technology Review, the John Marshall Law School Review of Intellectual Property Law, New York Intellectual Property Law Bulletin, New York State Bar Association Labor & Employment Newsletter and Mealey's (Lexis-Nexis) Litigation Report on Intellectual Property, IPLaw360, New Matter, and the San Diego Daily Transcript. Mr. Lane is also a frequent speaker on issues at the intersection of IP law and green technologies.
○ Clean Tech Intellectual Property: Eco-marks, Green Patents, and Green Innovation (Oxford University Press 2011)
○ Greenwashing 2.0, 38 Colum. J. Envtl. L. 279 (2013), available at http://columbiaenvironmentallaw.org/issues
○ Clean Tech Reality Check: Nine International Green Technology Transfer Deals Unhindered by Intellectual Property Rights, in intellectual property, innovation, and the environment (with Peter Menell and Sarah Tran ed., Edward Elgar, forthcoming 2013) (originally published in 26 Santa Clara Computer & High Tech. L.J. 533).
○ Keeping the LEDs On and the Electric Motors Running: Clean Tech in Court After eBay, in intellectual property, innovation, and the environment (with Peter Menell and Sarah Tran ed., Edward Elgar, forthcoming 2013) (originally published in 2010 Duke L. & Tech. Rev. 13).
○ Greenwashing 2.0, Colum. J. Envtl. L. (forthcoming 2013)
Building the Global Green Patent Highway: A Proposal for International Harmonization of Green Technology Fast Track Programs, 27 Berkeley Tech. L.J. 1119 (2012)
○ Keeping the LEDs On and the Electric Motors Running: Clean Tech in Court After eBay, 2010 Duke L. & Tech. Rev. 13 (2010)
○ Clean Tech Reality Check: Nine International Green Technology Transfer Deals Unhindered by Intellectual Property Rights, 26 Santa Clara Computer & High Tech. L.J. 533 (2010)
○ Consumer Protection in the Eco-mark Era: A Preliminary Survey and Assessment of Anti-Greenwashing Activity and Eco-mark Enforcement, 9 J. Marshall. Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 742 (2010)
○ The Federal Circuit's Inducement Conflict Resolution: The Flawed Foundation and Ignored Implications of DSU Medical, 6 J. Marshall. Rev. Intell. Prop. L. 198 (2007)
○ Intellectual Property
○ The George
Law School, J.D.
○ Wesleyan University,